This post is written for my two friends who Zentangle with me on a regular basis. We normally Zoom but this week I will be on a long journey and won’t be able to join in, so I’m leaving a step by step guide to this week’s session here. Please fell free to join in if you want to.
Good morning girls.
I thought we’d try a simple wreath this week.
You will need:
Paper or card. (I’m using an A4 sheet of 180 gsm smooth paper so it can take the alcohol inks easily.)
Alcohol markers – two or three shades of green; two or three shades of peach/orange/salmon pink. But, of course you can use whatever colours you prefer. I used Grass and Bright Green Promarkers and two Sharpies in bright and pale orange – they don’t have names I’m afraid – plus Promarkers is Coral, Soft Peach and Tequila Sunrise
A fineliner pen; I’m using a Pigma Micron size 0.3 And a Signo white pen but you can easily manage without it, it’s just for a few bits at the end.
A pencil and an eraser. (Yes I know Zentangle don’t use erasers but rules are for breaking on occasion!)
A compass or something to draw a circle around – about a 10cm (4 inch) diameter and something else to draw around about a 6cm (3 inch) diameter.
So here we go. I started by drawing a 6″ square and putting a dot in the middle to mark the centre for my compass.
Then I drew two concentric circles, one with a 2″ radius and the inner one has a 1.5″ radius, I’ve said radius rather than diameter for if you are using a compass, as opposed to drawing round something. I used pencil for this, as pale as possible because it will be erased later.
Next came a set of small circles, drawn freehand and scattered randomly around the two rings, but not too close together.
You’ll notice they are freehand and not intended to be too precise. We’re going for naturalistic rather than geometric.
And then we are doing the pattern that we’ve done before, called Henna Drum. This time it’s a full flower shape rather than a partial one like we did on the Crescent Moon drawing. You’ll notice I’ve done two petal shapes. In the picture below this one there is a close up of types of petal you could choose. It’s up to you whether to do all your flower shapes the same, or vary it a bit as I have.
The longer you make the sticks to start with, the bigger the petals will be. Try to make them middle sized, so they don’t all touch and there’s room for stuff between them.
At this point, we stop drawing and do some of the colouring. This is mainly to avoid smearing the lines when adding alcohol inks. But first I rubbed out all the pencil lines because, once the marker goes over them, they can’t be removed. Then I started with the darker green and created a clumsy outline. The clumsiness doesn’t matter at this stage because we will be drawing over it.
I then filled it in with the paler green.
I know it looks painfully childish at this point but it should come together as we go further.
And here we start with a pattern called Printemps. There’s a video below from the Zentangle team showing how it’s done. However, when Rick starts to explain about sparkles, don’t worry about it. I didn’t do sparkles on this because I didn’t feel it was necessary. You can if you want to though, entirely up to you.
There are lots of videos like this on the Zentangle website and I highly recommend them. In fact, if you fancy the idea, we can do one of the Zentangle Projects at a later stage.
But back to our wreath.
If at a later point you feel it looks a bit empty in places, you can always add a bit more Printemps.
So now we are going to colour the flower shapes. I did one set in the paler peach colour, adding some darker ink in places. See two pics below. The second one is a close up of how to fill in the petals.
It will look a bit more subtle on the finished drawing. You can see here the two colourways I chose – pale peach with the mid colour and then mid colour with the darker orange.
I then gave each of the flowers a couple of tendrils. This pattern, the tendrils, is called Fescu. I gave them quite long stems to spread across the pattern underneath to break it up a bit.
I then coloured them in the darker colour and gave each of them a halo of seven or eight dots.
Then it was back to a little more line work on the flower shapes. There’s a close up below to show what I did a bit more clearly. You can see I also filled in the middles with tiny circles and white dots. Not required but I liked it better with than without.
So this is pretty much the final version. Frankly, I’m not thrilled with mine because I rushed it. (I hadn’t realised how long it would take to stop and scan every stage, so I was rushing to get it done.) Anyway, if you’re bored and you want to give it a go, let me know how you get on. By the way, the colours on this are a bit washed out but no matter what I did, I couldn’t persuade the machine to brighten them up enough.
And because I forgot to post this for Jan…