Home from a recent trip, I spent two evenings stuffing soft toys I’d started while we were away. I have a very low boredom threshold so I always take things away with me to keep me occupied. Drawing things – obviously- crochet, my Kindle and a tablet to keep in touch with the world and play idiotic games on. The rest of my attention is taken up by eating, drinking and going for walks with the loved one.
This trip the walks were slightly marred by my recent acquisition of an arthritic knee, which slowed me down considerably, in spite of anti inlammatories, pain killers, a knee brace and a telescopic walking stick bought for me by the loved one. You may perhaps imagine the expression on my face when he gave it to me. Grateful appreciation was not top of the list. Admitting that I might need one is not the same as being handed one as a pre holiday gift. However, it may not have been appreciated but, to my easily imagined chagrin, was useful on occasion.
Back to the stuffing. I have been making amigurumi toys; you may remember the armless doll, still incomplete, but I WILL finish her, probably this week. Well I took some yarn away with me and started a mermaid doll. Because I hadn’t taken stuffing – oh come on, even I don’t take soft toy stuffing on my hols – I had to stop at the point where I was decreasing for the shoulders, otherwise it would have been too narrow to get the stuffing in at a later time.
So I had a trawl on the net (see what I did there?) and decided to make her a couple of friends; a fish and an octopus. They were such fun to do, I may make more, if I can think of anyone who might want them. I’ve started a seahorse too but that is on pause until all the other projects are complete, otherwise I will end up with a bag full of unfinished symphonies. Sorry, another bag full of…
I’ve mentioned before that I belong to a couple of FB groups swapping little Zentangle artwork pieces – Zentangle Artist Trading Swap and Travelling Tangles Project. Well, a couple of weeks ago, a lady called Michele Wynne (Her blog is called Coffee and Creativity and well worth a visit, her artwork is gorgeous) offered on the travelling Tangle Project to send part complete ATC’s for people to finish. I begged to be included and came back from Tenerife to find a beautifully decorated envelope waiting for me. This is what it contained –
Well it took me a while to work out what to do. I looked at the Mooka one first and decided on some sort of motif pattern top left, somehow linked to what Michele had done. I did a fair amount of rough practice on scrap paper and eventually took a deep breath and drew Cirquital in the top corner, using some of the colours in the Mooka. Unfortunately, mine were deeper than the ones Michele had used, so I used a little of my red over hers to tone them together. This was, I thought, the finished version but it didn’t work – almost, but not quite. There was no link between the two parts, even though I had used the Tipple and Pokeleaf as a unifying element, they were just two patterns that happened to share a page. Nervously, because at this stage I didn’t want to ruin the whole damn thing, I added a few ribbons to join the two areas. And, in my humble opinion, it worked. Phew! I hope she doesn’t think I spoiled her starters.
So, feeling positive, I started on the brightly coloured one. The bottom left corner just did it all by itself; I didn’t have to think about it at all. But the top right had me puzzled. In the end I went off on Pinterest looking for patterns and found this one – called Muscari by Elaine Belfatto. Once it was in, I could see it was a disaster – not the pattern but my execution of it. My shading, colouring and drops of white were a frantic attempt to disguise my failure and, in the end, it looks OK. But it doesn’t live up to expectations. Bugger!
So I decided to send a couple back for Michele to complete. I went for plain and simple design on splodgy (That’s the technical term) inked backgrounds. I shall put them in the mail tomorrow and see what happens.
And then it was Diva Day again and I read the Challenge with high hopes.
This week’s challenge is a string challenge where you are to use a Circle and a Square in some form for your string.
You can take this in any direction you like, you can use MANY circles and one square, you can use many squares and only a few circles – just make sure you use at least one of each. You can also free hand your circle or square if you want, or if you don’t have access to things to trace. It’s all good.
So, since I am completing a swap using triangle tiles, I used one and drew a square-ish square and surrounded it with circles. I can’t remember the name of the pattern, it’s the new one from the mother ship demonstrated by the two little girls on the newsletter and I like it soooo much more than I first expected to. I also can’t remember the name of the Greek key pattern inside the square but it’s an old favourite, just shaded a little.
And here are the rest of the swap. The jury’s till out on whether or not I like the 3Z tiles but I did enjoy these. And I think that’s all for now. My daughter and family are joining us for a few days, so it will be bedlam at the home for the terminally disturbed this week and we will heave a sigh when they leave but, oh, it will be fun.
Until next time, world, be good -ish.