I hadn’t expected to be writing a post this week, as my consultant was to contact me to make arrangements for me to go into hospital. However, his secretary called this morning to talk about pre op examinations and says I should expect to be in surgery sometime in July or August. Having psyched myself up for June, I feel a bizarre combination of relief and disappointment. To celebrate (?) I went to the dentist and then we took a drive out into Derbyshire to visit my parents’ not graves, i.e. where their ashes are scattered. I can’t tell you where because we didn’t seek permission to scatter them and I think maybe we should have, but it’s too late now.
It was a lovely day and I saw the scenery through the eyes of a tourist, looking at my own countryside as if it were Majorca or Rhodes, for example. It’s very true, that if we had the good weather on a regular basis, we would never want to leave these shores. We then called in at the Wheatsheaf pub in Baslow and had a lateish lunch and then a leisurely drive home. Highly satisfying.
So I went on the Diva website to see the Challenge and there it wasn’t. All is not well at Casa Diva, in terms of health and, I suspect, trying to do too much. I remember when all three kids were young, we used to think we could just keep going and were surprised when things sometimes got on top of us. Anyway, I hope all goes well for her and her family, not because I miss the Challenge, although I do, but because they seem such a lovely bunch of people, I wish them all well.
So, as a substitute for doing the Challenge, I went to see the podiatrist instead. Not quite so amusing, perhaps, but still something of a challenge, since the temperature in the clinic was in the 80’s and in the UK we don’t do air conditioning. It certainly wasn’t the most relaxing of experiences. Give me a mind blowing pattern any day!.
A friend of mine has a summer Fair (Fayre?) in her village in July and I offered some “artwork” to sell to raise money for the church repairs. (I have a slightly ambivalent attitude to this, since I do not belong to an organised religion but I’m a big fan of tradition and history. In fact, I rather disapprove of an organisation that has its places of worship built by and at the expense of the parishioners, insists they pay for maintenance but then insists that they have to seek permission for every alteration and pay a fee to the church for improving their own building. I’m ranting again. I’ll stop now.)
Anyway, I dug out some stuff I’d done before and added colour, mounted them on card and put others on greetings cards. Not sure anyone will want to buy them but we’ll see. I will not be standing at a stall trying to sell them, so will not experience any embarrassment if no-one wants them. My friend and I will have an agreement that she will just chuck away those that don’t sell.
And then I went on Pinterest and, several hours later, came up for breath, having found all sorts of ideas. If you are looking for designs to colour or tangle, or both, have a look at these free downloads. Ooooo! Scrummy.
And then I remembered that I still had to frame the pic I did as a raffle prize for the Milly Johnson book launch next week, so I chose a very simple square frame and sent her a FB message asking if she wanted it.
Which brings me pretty much up to date and holding my breath, waiting to see what the Diva has in store for us this week.
And it’a a fun Challenge
So!! This week’s challenge is to BEad INSPIRED by Beads of Courage! By our Colour Run, or by whatever gives you Courage.For my tile, i used a technique called the Hefty Hack (you can google it, it’s super easy and super addicting!! there’s lots of YouTube tutorials) to make a colour splotch on my tile, then tangled a string of beads – inspired by Artoo’s string in the photo above.
And here is my card before patterns. I didn’t use the Hefty Hack method because I thought I was clever and did it my own way. It’s nothing like what she does but that’s OK, I quite like it anyway. (FYI, I just washed a piece of card with water, dribbled a couple of drops of ink made from Brusho crystals on it and shook it a bit, before mopping off the excess with a paper towel. (It’s what we used to do in primary school, way back in the stone age.) Can’t wait till it’s dry.
Well, it’s turned out OK and yet… I think my original colours were a bit too dark, so the lines don’t show up so well and shading became a bit clumsy. Also, I used several patterns, well, three, that I haven’t used before and it would have paid to practise a little more first. (Patterns used – Y chain, Dicso, Rashell, Abundies.) Still, it is what it is and it will have to do.