I thought I’d put this one up in its three stages. I did it for the Diva Challenge last week and was not all that happy with it. Well, now I’m happier. It just looked a bit dull, I suppose, and now it doesn’t.
Alright, ‘fess up, who immediately started humming along with Perry Como when they saw the title of this week’s post? He was one of my mum’s favourites, although way too respectable for me. When I was playing the Beatles, Stones, Who, Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix, she was happily humming along to Perry, Andy Williams, Matt Munro and Kathy Kirby. Although I still bumble along with my old favourites, some of the newer ones have found their way into my mental jukebox, so I sometimes find myself singing along with Pink, the Stereophonics and Muse too. None of this hip hop or rap stuff, though, I am a product of my upbringing and for me foul language is kept to when I’m in extremis and certainly not for song lyrics. Doesn’t look like I’ll ever be down with the homies but I can live with that.
You will no doubt be unsurprised to learn that my flurry of Christmas card making had stumbled to a close for the time being. I’m a bit like Toad in “Wind in the Willows”, my enthusiasms are ferocious but sometimes short lived. So I’m back to drawing whatever comes to mind and pleasing myself for the time being. This has included a picture for a friend in Scotland who has asked me to do something for his two grown up daughters. One of them is a pretty high powered business woman, so I did her some pens, using a Dreamweaver stencil, Aquarelle pencils. However, I’m having trouble working out what to do for the other one, who is a teacher. I might do the same one in different colourways.
I’m hoping to be teaching another class soon, so I’m preparing a demo piece to show the lady I hope to be doing it for. It will be one of those little square zig zag books, with each page having a small tile showcasing a particular pattern and a decorated tag with the pattern name. I’m trying to mix patterns to include grids, dot grids, organic, ribbon and motif ideas. There will be eight small tiles, plus a cover and maybe some little tags tucked in the pockets.
I haven’t decided yet whether or not to put a tile on the left hand pages too but I suspect there won’t be enough time. I have, however, decided that adding tags will be too fussy so it will stay pretty much as you see it.
I watched a Helen williams video on Youtube on how to draw Olb and Abundies together and really liked it so, of course, I had to give it a try. I had also been looking at another site called Tickled to Tangle by Adele Bruno, where she had shown a pattern called Radiant Sunflower and, for me, the two seemed to go together. Anyway, this is what I came up with and I quite like it.
And this is what I might use for my friend’s other daughter. It’s a little bit bigger then the pens one, about 8″ by 6″. Obviously, not even half way through yet but you get the idea. All the dangles need to be coloured, as do the leaves on the border and the lettering. I’ve gone for sepia colours for a change but I’m not sure such a limited palette is quite right. ah well, it’s all learning, isn’t it?
I’ve also decided it’s time to improve my blog, so it may look a little different some time soon, if I can work out how to do it. And then I got a fit of inspiration and decided to do a new picture for the top of the blog home page.
This is the outline so far. As always, I have about three things on the go at one time. (And that doesn’t include knitting two small teddy bears for grandchildren.)
Then, taking me completely by surprise, it’s Diva Day again and the guest blogger this week is Sharla Hicks, who challenges us to use her tangle, Sharlarella. Can’t wait to get going on that one – I’ll be back…
A bit of an odd one, this one. Having recently learned Olb and Abundies, this pattern felt like “just more auras” and, in spite of the stunning pieces Sharla had put on the Diva blog, I didn’t feel excited by it. The sort of flower was the first one I did, well, no, it was the second but the first is where it belongs, in the bin. Anyway, the flower-ish one was OK but not very satisfying, so I decided to mix two versions of the pattern and see if that worked for me. I did the open ones first, in diagonal corners and then a string of the more closed ones down the middle. And that’s just what it looked like, two patterns on a tile. Meh. So I kept filling in more and more until there was no more room, sat back, grabbed a pencil and shaded it to within an inch of its life. In fact, I possibly shaded too much, not sure.
Anyway, back to redesigning the blog, see you soon, world.